Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lost

Moving is never fun and as a career Army family, I knew that moves would be plentiful and regular. Being forearmed with that knowledge does not, in fact, make it easier. This move in particular I have really been struggling with finding my niche. I have yet to make a single friend and not from lack of trying. Some days I even find myself wishing we'd decided to live on post because then, at least, it'd be slightly easier to meet people. While I am very happy with the neighborhood we're in, there are very few, if any, kids around. We've found a church and have been trying to get involved there but even that hasn't really panned out to making any acquaintances let alone friendships. 

I've gone to an FRG meeting (which I usually avoid like the plague haha), have biggish in gymnastics, joined a local homeschool group and have gone to events yet, nothing. It's amazing to me that in an Army town of this size how incredibly unfriendly people are. It really blows my mind. While I can be a tad outspoken, I am fairly adept at social situations nor am I shy. One of my strengths has always been my ability to talk to people and make them feel comfortable. Heck I'm going to be a counselor someday in the not too distant future, I *have* to be able to talk to people. Yet here it seems like an impossible task. 

Maybe it's because this area has such a high turnover, maybe people are jaded. Who really knows. All I know is that, frankly, this sucks. Each day I'm finding myself homesick for California and even for Georgia. Biggish asks almost everyday if we can go back to either Georgia or California because he misses his friends (especially the ones in Georgia). It breaks my heart that I don't have a good answer for him. 

I love the adventure of a new place but I do NOT love this, this lost feeling I have. I hate feeling lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment